Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Halloween Decorating with Kids

I never grew up decorating our house for Halloween and I didn't really get the whole phenomenon that takes place right about now. Last year I figured I'd see what it was all about. We did Halloween up like it was Christmas. We got spiders, black crows, cob webs and went to town on the outside. We bought Halloween gingerbread-house-kits and came up with our own adornments (dying coconut for the purple grass). For the October 30th birthday in the family, we did up the table with all Target finds. We had SO MUCH FUN creating! To get excited for this year...

From October 2009 issue of Vogue.
I just love this image, it got me so excited for Halloween. Look at the cake, I want to recreate it.
This was sold out last year! Try it over an orange table cloth for a kids' party.

From Martha Stewart Halloween 2009
I love the black jelly beans lining the plate!
I am not sure I am totally sold on the not-carved pumpkin, but that pirate is pretty cute!

Scaredy Cat with Light Up Eyes $19.99 from Target.
I know my girls would flip over this. It's a little creepy to me!

From left: Ghost cake from Martha Stewart Halloween. Bright Ideas Eyeball Cupcakes and Better Homes and Gardens Bare Bones Cupcakes (seen on Hostess with the Mostess).
We had used marshmellows like on the cake for our gingerbread house (use chocolate sprinkles for eyes).

Black Ostrich Feather $3.99 from Jamali Garden.
Different textures are fun to play with at Halloween. I am thinking how I can use this, maybe filling a glass jar with orange and black jelly beans and have these coming out at the top.

This is my inspiration for our outside decorating. We'll see how close we come, I think the girls might insist on a little more fright. Here are some black crows and a how-to on perforated pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment